American Council of Engineering Companies of Illinois (ACEC-IL)
The origins of ACEC-IL date back to 1921, when the Chicago Association of Consulting Engineers was formed with individual memberships from firms in the mechanical-electrical field. James B. Lund served as the first President.
Individuals primarily from civil and land surveying firms generally located outside of the Chicago area, formed the Illinois Association of Consulting Engineers in 1956. Leonard K. Crawford of Crawford, Murphy & Tilly, served as the first President of IACE and later became President of the Consulting Engineers Council of the United States in 1965.
In 1964, the Chicago area and Downstate organizations merged, forming a statewide organization named the Consulting Engineers Association of Illinois. Three years later, the name was changed to the Consulting Engineers Council of Illinois. The merger also marked the beginning of staff assistance, with the hiring of a part-time executive secretary. Clifford E. Evanson, Aberlin & Evanson, Inc., served as the first President of the new organization and advanced to the Presidency of the national organization in 1984.
A full-time Executive Director, Mr. Lonnie H. Carter, was hired in 1970. In addition, an office was established in Springfield. Mr. Carter served CECI until his death in 1985.
In 2004 the name was changed to the American Council of Engineering Companies of Illinois (ACEC-IL).
When the two separate Illinois based organizations merged in 1964, there were 81 member firms on the roster. Today, there are 220 member firms located throughout the state, with over 8,000 employees, representing all fields of practice.
American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC)
The Consulting Engineers Council of the United States was formed in Tulsa, Oklahoma, July 6, 1956, with ten founding members. The Chicago Association of Consulting Engineers, formed in 1921, was one of the founding members. The Illinois Association of Consulting Engineers was formed in 1956, and became a Charter Member of CEC/US prior to the Second Annual Meeting, in 1957.
In 1957, Edward J. Wolff, of E. J. Wolff and Associates, Chicago, became President of CEC/US. The national headquarters was established in Springfield, Illinois, with Larry Spiller serving as the first Executive Vice President. The headquarters was moved to Washington, D.C. in 1962, and today has a staff of approximately 40 persons. Mr. Spiller served as Executive Vice President until 1985.
In 1973, ACEC was formed from the merger of CEC/US and the American Institute of Consulting Engineers.
The American Institute of Consulting Engineers, composed of individuals, was formed in 1910. Past Presidents of AICE from Illinois include Robert B. Richards of DeLeuw, Cather and Company, Chicago, who served in 1970.